Welcome!

I'm a busy mom who works hard for her kids! Hope you can relate to some of my thoughts!

Saturday, May 1, 2010

Appreciation

How do we teach our kids to be grateful for what they have? I'm so afraid that my kids are going to grow up being greedy and ungrateful, especially in this new generation where it seems like kids have everything available at their fingertips! I love my 6th graders, but I am amazed at how greedy and ungrateful some of them can! This past week was a big fundraising week for our Relay for Life team at school. The members of our team had "torture buckets" in our classrooms. Students could bring in monetary donations and when the classed reach certain goals there would be a form of "torture" on the teacher. Well my students met the $75 goal and so I had to dye my hair pink. I used the hairspray dye and the can ran out before I was able to get ALL of my hair pink. Were the kids grateful that I dyed my hair at all? No! It was pink enough! Then they also were able to throw water balloons at me yesterday, were they grateful? No! I mean, come on! I can't remember any of my teachers doing things like that!

Am I being too hard on my students? Are my expectations set too high? I know Aiden is only 4 1/2 but I sure plan to make sure he understands he has to work for what he wants! He may not like it growing up, but he'll sure thank me when he's older!

No comments:

Post a Comment